The first time I went to a Renaissance Faire, I was probably about 14 years old and was solicited for a paddle party upon entering the gates. I was young and confused but my mom told me not to worry about till I was older. Last time I went to a Renaissance Faire, I tried to sell my friend for a flask of ale. I didn’t even know what to expect but certainly not a whole lot of costumes. Aside from Halloween, my exposure to costuming for fun was limited. This was like Pandora’s Box for me! It wasn’t too long after that I learned about conventions and the joy of themed costume parties. It just seems natural that the term COSPLAY would weave its way into my vocabulary.
Here is my list of dream FEMALE COSTUMES that someday I shall wear, in no particular order.
1. Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise. She’s a badass lady that loves her cat. I see no faults in her for it. Plus it seems pretty simple; green jumpsuit, white sneakers, and a painted potato gun!
2. Princess Yue from Avatar the Last Airbender. When your girlfriend becomes the moon, what are you gonna do? I prefer the middle outfit because it just looks easy to move in. I fell in love with the series in my mid-twenties because that’s when I first saw it. Phenomenal cartoon!
3. Poison Ivy, from Batman and Robin. I love Batman, from 60’s Adam West, to 90’s Michael Keaton, to young Master Bruce in Gotham. However, one of my favorite villains has always been Poison Ivy. A garden loving hippie who just happens to be evil. I love the green unitard piece, the flaming red hair, and blatant use of sexuality to charm her way out of any situation.
4.Kida, from Atlantis. One of my absolute favorite Disney films and it baffles me that it didn’t do as well as the others. I don’t think it should be a surprise that a Disney princess made it to my list. I like Kida for many reasons, but one big draw is that her costume isn’t too revealing while still being kind of sexy and also I have her shape. I’ve got the hips and small chest. I could rock this.
5. Kaylee, from Firefly. I know, I know, it’s another jumpsuit cosplay. Not my intention but I really enjoy the first episode outfit for Kaylee. Especially when she’s sitting outside the ship and twirling her parasol all innocent-like.
6. Barbarella from Barbarella. I only saw this movie for the first time last year and fell in love with it. A women on a mission with a strong sexual appetite and several costume changes. I love this silver leotard and boots combo and could easily add one of her capes to it.
7. Codex, from the Guild. I love Felicia Day. Super 100% one of my lady crushes. I felt like Felicia’s character in the Guild, Cyd, is totally relatable. Plus the costume is not too showy but still super cute. And that staff is badass.
8. Gogo Yubari, from Kill Bill. There is something so wonderful about a school girl assassin. And Gogo is freaking awesome The outfit is simplistic but the single-headed meteor hammer is what really makes it fun!
9. Callisto, from Xena: Warrior Princess. Although there are so many great costumes, between Xena and Gabrielle, my favorites tend to be the Amazons and Callisto. Though the Amazons have slightly more fun outfits, Callisto is such a character that it’d be fun to be crazy for an evening!
10. Rey from Star Wars: the Force Awakens. Although I rather enjoy the Slave Leia outfit, and most of Queen Amidala’s wardrobe, Rey’s outfit is the most breathable and comfortable costume. It’s also Star Wars and highly recognizable. Did I mention comfortable?
This list isn’t all that I dream of, but it is my top 10 and it is limited to ladies. Perhaps I’ll make one of my top 10 male cosplays. Some of my previously worn costumes include Leeloo Dallas multipass costume from the Fifth Element, Babydoll sailor-school girl outfit from Suckerpunch, Arya Stark from Game of Thrones, and Brienne of Tarth from the bear pit scene from Game of Thrones.
What characters do you dream of cosplaying?